Built on a rocky coast on the southwest side of Mt. Athos between the monasteries of Simonos Petra and Dionysiou, it was founded in the 14th century by the monk Gregorios, from whom it received its name. It was brought back from desolation by the ruler of Moldavia, John Stephen in 1500. It was burned in 1762 to be renovated by Ioakeim thanks to donations from Constantinople. Its Catholicon is of the 18th century, frescoed in 1779 and its feast day is St. Nicholas on December 6. Its library contains just 297 manuscripts and about 4.000 printed works as many books were destroyed by the fires. The monastery is 17th in the hierarchy of Mt. Athos.